Skip to content ↓
The Lantern School

The Lantern School

  • Confidence

  • Perseverance

  • Caring

  • Teamwork


We have produced a list of frequently asked questions for parents and carers.

If you cannot see the answer to your question our administration staff in the school office would be pleased to help.

What do I do if my child is ill? 

Please notify the school by 8.30a.m. on the first day, and then each subsequent day, your child is absent from school.  We have a 48 hour exclusion policy if your child has been ill with sickness and/or diarrhoea.

What happens if my child is taken ill during school or has an accident during the school day? 

In the event of your child becoming unwell or receiving an injury at school every effort is made to contact you. In the unlikely event of a more serious injury the school would ensure your child receives the appropriate emergency treatment whilst making every effort to contact you as quickly as possible.

How long should my child be kept off school following sickness/diarrhoea? 

To help us to contain the spread of infection, please keep your child away from school for 48 hours after symptoms have subsided.

Can I request time off during term times? 

Leave during term-time is discouraged. However, if it is absolutely unavoidable then you should complete an Exceptional Leave of Absence Form, which is available from the office, and submit it a minimum of one week before the requested leave period. Leave will only be authorised in exceptional circumstances.

What happens if my leave of absence request is unauthorised? 

If your request is not authorised but you still decide to take your child out of school then their absence will be recorded as unauthorised in the register. This could result in a Penalty Notice or subject to court proceedings for failing to ensure your child's regular school attendance under section 444 of the Education Act 1996.

How do I book Breakfast Club and Stay & Play? 

Sessions can be booked via Magic Booking.

 How do I sign up for turning circle?

A sign up form is available from the school office. 

How do I sign up to give permission for my child to walk home alone at the end of the school day? 

Letters are circulated early in the Autumn term for children in years 4, 5 and 6

only. Please speak with the school office for further details.

How do I make contact with; The Academy Council, FOTLS or members of the Senior Leadership Team? 

The school office can provide these details.

What do I do if my child needs medicine during the school day? 

All medication must be handed into the school office by the parent along with a signed medical consent form. 

When is the termly Clubs brochure circulated? 

Usually around the last 3 weeks of each term.

 Am I able to have a class list of names to circulate my child’s birthday invites/Christmas cards? 

Unfortunately, for child protection reasons, we are unable to circulate class lists.

Can I bring in sweets/cakes to celebrate my child’s birthday? 

Yes, but we must ask that only wrapped treats are sent into school listing the ingredients so that we can ensure our allergy children are not given food items that could cause them harm. 

Why am I not receiving any letters in the book bag? 

Most letters are sent out via the Pupil Asset Messaging System.  Once children progress from Reception we encourage independence and responsibility. Please ask your child to check their drawer for letters and other information.

  What happens if my child is late for school one morning?

Late children will need to enter school via the school office to be signed in our late register.

What happens if my child has headlice? 

Please treat your child for headlice and then notify the school so that a standard letter can be circulated to a specific class.

How do I take my child out of school during the day for a medical appointmen t?

Please write a note in your child’s Learning Log and also inform the school office.  Please make sure the office are advised if the appointment affects lunch arrangements.

 What is the school uniform code? 

Gold polo shirt and purple sweatshirt/cardigan.

Grey or black trousers for boys.

Grey or black skirt, pinafore or trousers for girls.

School uniform can be ordered via the school trends website.

In the summer: 

Purple or yellow checked dresses for girls.

Gold polo shirt with grey or black trousers or shorts for boys.


Shoes should be black (no trainers or heels, including high topped ‘Converse’


Socks or tights should be black, grey or white.

What is the school uniform code for PE lessons? 

Black or navy shorts, white polo or t-shirt, plimsolls for inside PE. For outside

PE children need a warm track suit and trainers.

How can I locate lost property? 

There is a box in the atrium area.

Can I use the school car park? 

No, this is for disabled users, staff and visitors only.

What happens if I’m running late at the end of the school day? 

Please telephone the school office and let them know so that arrangements can

be made for your child.

What happens if my child loses a school reading book? 

Please write a note in your child’s Learning Log. School will then request

reimbursement for the cost of the book.

How can I volunteer to help out in class? 

Please speak with the Headteacher or your child’s class teacher about

volunteering in school.

How do I add my child’s name to the Goslings Pre-school waiting list? 

The office has waiting list forms.

Get in Touch

The Lantern Community Primary
Nene Road,